The ALL ME® Podcast
Heat Exhaustion, Hydration, and Sweat Testing – Michelle King, PhD
Are you one of those individuals like me who cuts grass in the heat and humidity? In certain parts of the world, especially during the summer months, the heat and humidity can play a significant role in your hydration status. Furthermore, if training, exercising or just working in the heat for too long, you may experience some significant side effects and some that could be life threatening if you do seek immediate attention. In this podcast, we speak with Dr. Michelle King from the Gatorade Sports Science Institute about the impact of the heat and humidity on hydration status, the signs and symptoms of dehydration and heat stroke, the importance of electrolytes, Gatorade’s new sweat testing patch which is available for the consumer, and in the end, you’ll get to learn which band she would be the lead singer for if she had the opportunity.
About Michelle King, PhD
Dr. Michelle King is an Associate Principal Scientist at the Gatorade Sports Science Institute. Michelle’s body of work has focused on the innate immune response to physical exertion in extreme environmental conditions. Michelle is based in Barrington, IL, where her primary role is to support GSSI’s internal program by designing and conducting studies related to hydration and nutrition. Michelle joined the team following her post-doctoral work at the US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, where she investigated if novel oral rehydration solutions could delay the onset of exertional heat stroke or accelerate recovery from organ damage.
During her time at the University of Florida she studied how the muscle, gut, and immune system communicate during extreme environmental conditions, specifically in exertional heat stroke. Michelle has multiple publications in thermoregulation including peer-reviewed manuscripts and a book chapter. She previously enjoyed working in physical therapy clinics and teaching courses in the exercise sciences such as Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, and Exercise Prescription.
Resource Definitions and Links:
GX Sweat Patch: https://www.gatorade.com/gear/tech/gx-sweat-patch/2-pack
- Join Gatorade Performance Partner, the first multi-disciplinary community of sports performance professionals. You’ll get access to exclusive benefits like complimentary CEUs, science-backed resources, and opportunities to discover all the latest that Gatorade has to offer. Join the community at GatoradePerformancePartner.com
- Founded in 1985, the Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI) is committed to helping athletes optimize their health and performance through research and education in hydration and nutrition science. Learn more at GSSIweb.org
- Twitter and Instagram @GPPartner
- Facebook @GPerformancePartner
- LinkedIn @GatoradePerformancePartner
- Twitter: @theTHF
- Instagram: @theTHF
- Facebook: Taylor Hooton Foundation
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 214-449-1990
- ALL ME Assembly Programs: http://taylorhooton.org/education-resources/face-to-face-programs/