The ALL ME® Podcast
S01 E24: An Athlete’s Voice – Katie Uhlaender
Have you ever taken steps to support a cause that is near and dear to your heart? Have you ever used your own platform to raise awareness of a societal issue that needs reform? Taking those steps to effect change for a cause you are invested in is not often easy, but often necessary.
In this episode we speak with one of our ALL ME Advisory Board Members, Katie Uhlaendar. Katie is an Olympian in the sport of Skeleton, a winter sliding sport. Not only is Katie a four time Olympian, she is a World Champion, a 2 time World Cup Champion, an Intercontinental Cup Champion, a North American Cup Champion and more in the sport of skeleton. In the midst of her career, she placed 4th in the 2014 Sochi Olympics, ultimately finishing behind Elena Nikitina, an athlete that was implicated in the State Sponsored Russian Doping Program. When the findings of this program were announced, she was awarded an Olympic medal, when Elena was stripped of the 2014 bronze medal for this doping violation. However, Elena’s medal ended up being reinstated on appeal, a decision announced just before the 2018 Olympics. Instead of choosing the path of anger and resentment, she has taken her efforts to reform Olympic organizations to Congress and the Court of Arbitration for Sport, seeking support for athletes in need and penalties for countries that skirt doping laws.
Katie was one of our first female ALL ME Advisory Board members and one of those people that come to mind when we hear the words role model. In the midst of an impressive career in skeleton, she has been an outspoken advocate for fair play along the way and is always fighting for what is just and right for her fellow athletes. She is out there achieving all her goals the right way and we are honored to have her by our side.
Resource Definitions and Links:
- Katie Uhlaender’s Career: https://www.teamusa.org/usa-bobsled-skeleton-federation/athletes/Katie-Uhlaender
- McLaren Report: https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/mclaren_report_part_ii_2.pdf
- Icarus: https://www.netflix.com/title/80168079
- Senate Bill 2330: https://usopu.info/
- Renchenkof Act: https://www.csce.gov/international-impact/events/state-play
- Utah Skeleton and Bobsled Association: https://www.utahskeletonandbobsled.org/
- Twitter: @theTHF
- Instagram: @theTHF
- Facebook: Taylor Hooton Foundation
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 214-449-1990
- ALL ME League: www.allmeleague.com
- ALL ME Assembly Programs: http://taylorhooton.org/education-resources/face-to-face-programs/
Check out this episode!