The ALL ME® Podcast
Caffeine’s Effect on Performance and Health – Dr. Rebecca Randell
Coffee is one of the most widely consumed beverages in the world as in 2021, over 166 million bags of coffee was consumed. An 8-ounce cup of coffee can have anywhere between 60-135 mg of caffeine depending on the type consumed. But why do so many people need their caffeine fix? Market research tells us roughly 70% drink it for its taste, while 62% consume it for an extra boost of energy and 34% have some for the added focus.
Did you know caffeine is an effective ergogenic aid? In this podcast, we speak with Dr. Rebecca Randell from the Gatorade Sports Science Institute to define an ergogenic aid, the benefits of caffeine for athletes, and are there any health benefits and side effects from consuming caffeine.
During our interview we talk about the research that has been conducted on caffeine on performance and health.
Rebecca Randell, Ph.D., is a scientist with a background in exercise physiology and sports nutrition. Her current role involves managing and supporting GSSI service engagements in LATAM and Internationally. Rebecca is also involved in developing novel technologies to support athletic performance. Rebecca is passionate about sports nutrition and enjoys working with athletes to design appropriate and personalized nutritional strategies. She has extensive experience working with club elite athletes and clubs such as Olympic distance runners, Ironmen triathletes, FC Barcelona and CBF. She continues to author publications in peer reviewed journals and deliver invited presentations in the UK and abroad.
Resource Definitions and Links:
- Join Gatorade Performance Partner, the first multi-disciplinary community of sports performance professionals. You’ll get access to exclusive benefits like complimentary CEUs, science-backed resources, and opportunities to discover all the latest that Gatorade has to offer. Join the community at GatoradePerformancePartner.com
- Founded in 1985, the Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI) is committed to helping athletes optimize their health and performance through research and education in hydration and nutrition science. Learn more at GSSIweb.org
- Twitter and Instagram @GPPartner
- Facebook @GPerformancePartner
- LinkedIn @GatoradePerformancePartner
- Twitter: @theTHF
- Instagram: @theTHF
- Facebook: Taylor Hooton Foundation
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 214-449-1990
- ALL ME Assembly Programs: http://taylorhooton.org/education-resources/face-to-face-programs/