Are you someone who struggles with consuming enough fluids each day? Do you know how much fluid you need to stay hydrated and the benefits that are associated with it? Also, have you ever wondered what electrolytes are important, what their functions are, and when you should consume them in a beverage? Gatorade has spent over 50 years studying hydration, sweat rates, and electrolytes in active individuals and athletes and in this podcast, I speak with Dr. Lindsay Baker, from the Gatorade Sports Science institute to learn more about our hydration and electrolyte needs. In this podcast, we’ll discuss the key electrolytes that are important for hydration and their function, how important hydration is for the body, and the signs and symptoms of dehydration.
Dr. Lindsay Baker
Dr. Lindsay Baker is Senior Principal Scientist at the Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI) and R&D Fellow with PepsiCo. Since joining GSSI in 2007, Lindsay’s primary role has been designing and conducting sports nutrition, hydration, and sweat studies for the GSSI research program. Originally from Saxton, Pennsylvania, Lindsay came to GSSI from The Pennsylvania State University where she earned a doctorate in Kinesiology. While at Penn State, she conducted hydration and thermoregulation research at Noll Laboratory under the mentorship of Dr. W. Larry Kenney. Lindsay has over 40 publications in sports hydration and nutrition, including peer-reviewed manuscripts and invited reviews and book chapters. She is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine and is on the Scientific Advisory Board for the Korey Stringer Institute. Lindsay earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, with a minor in Chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown.
- Join Gatorade Performance Partner, the first multi-disciplinary community of sports performance professionals. You’ll get access to exclusive benefits like complimentary CEUs, science-backed resources, and opportunities to discover all the latest that Gatorade has to offer. Join the community at GatoradePerformancePartner.com
- Founded in 1985, the Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI) is committed to helping athletes optimize their health and performance through research and education in hydration and nutrition science. Learn more at GSSIweb.org
Did You Know?
- The Taylor Hooton Foundation has an education program on Nutrition and Dietary Supplement Safety
- Up to 25% of Dietary Supplements are contaminated with illegal drugs and banned substances.
- Twitter and Instagram @GPPartner
- Facebook @GPerformancePartner
- LinkedIn @GatoradePerformancePartner
- Twitter: @theTHF
- Instagram: @theTHF
- Facebook: Taylor Hooton Foundation
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 214-449-1990
Check out this episode!