S01 E21: Tom Galvin – Internet Security & Safety
In a fast paced ever changing world, we rely daily on the internet and social media to gather our information. According to a report from Digital 2019 Reports, more than six hours of our day is spent online. While the internet and social media can be a great place for us to spend our time, it can be a very dangerous and dark place as well.
In this Episode we’re talking with Tom Galvin, a strategic communications and government relations executive with over 20 years of corporate, enterprise, cyber security and public affairs experience. Tom has engaged with criminals online to uncover those who were stealing credit card information and selling illegal drugs, to expose the dark world of the internet. He does this so that people like us listening to this podcast can be more aware of the things we and our loved one’s can fall into while online, even in the safety of our own homes.
In 2013 Tom founded the Digital Citizens Alliance (DCA), a consumer-focused group whose mission is to raise awareness among the public and policymakers about how to make the Internet safer. In October of 2013, the Taylor Hooton Foundation partnered with the DCA to put together an investigative report about how YouTube was allowing advertising for sites that you could purchase illegal Anabolic Steroids.
Watch Video Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J1x0-55M7I&t=295s
In 2019, we partnered again with the DCA to uncover more information about Anabolic Steroids and Human Growth Hormone that was, and still is, being sold on major Social Media platforms including: Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. We’re going to dive into what this report uncovered in the podcast, but you can read the report by clicking the link below in the resource section.
Below you will see a picture of the Nandrolone that Tom and his team purchased on Facebook. Traces of Nandrolone Decanoate were found in the samples sent to the lab.
Towards the end of the show Tom tell us that if Hollywood made a movie about him that John Cusack would play him. As you can see there is quite a resemblance.
- Digital Citizens Alliance: https://www.digitalcitizensalliance.org
- Report – “Digital Platforms on Steroids: How Facebook and Google Enable the Sale of Illegal Appearance and Performance Enhancing Drugs” https://www.digitalcitizensalliance.org/clientuploads/directory/Reports/DCA_Platforms_on_Steroids_Report-Final.pdf
- Washington Post Article – “The sale of illicit wares across social media platforms is raising questions about how well the companies are policing their sites.” http://taylorhooton.org/drug-dealers-peddling-steroids-facebook-youtube/
Did You Know?
- Over 1.5 million teens admit to using anabolic steroids.
- The #1 reason young people turn to anabolic steroids is to look better.
- Up to 25% of Dietary Supplements are contaminated with illegal drugs and banned substances.
- 85% of students have never been educated on this topic.
- Twitter: @theTHF
- Instagram: @theTHF
- Facebook: Taylor Hooton Foundation
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 214-449-1990
Check out this episode!