Taylor Hooton Foundation > Hoot’s Corner > General > Steroid user: Profile of a cop killer
April 13, 2012
Steroid user: Profile of a cop killer
Is there a connection between steroid use an very violent behavior? Read the story below and draw your own conclusions. Don

GREENLAND - A large, wannabe firefighter, known to possess guns and anabolic steroids, shot five police officers at his home Thursday night, wounding four and killing Police Chief Michael Maloney, say police.

It wasn’t the first time uniformed officers went to Cullen Mutrie’s 517 Post Road home, where Mutrie and an unidentified woman were found dead early Friday morning, about eight hours after the mass shooting. According to the Attorney General’s office, police were at Mutrie’s home for a drug investigation, where local police previously reported finding several types of steroids.

In July of 2010, local officers went to Mutrie’s home to confiscate guns in the wake of his arrest for a violent domestic assault against his girlfriend. Police had information that Mutrie had “a few” guns in his bedroom, one in his vehicle, one in his living room and that he usually carried another one on his person. While they were there for the guns, officers found multiple types of steroids including testosterone cypionate, trenbolone acetate and nandrolone decanote, according to an affidavit by Officer Wayne Young.

The steroids were found in Mutrie’s living room coffee table on July 24, 2010, but were not verified as steroids by the state crime lab until the following January.

Mutrie, who was 6-foot three-inches tall and weighed 275 pounds, was arrested for nine steroid-related felonies on Jan. 19, 2011, and was then released on $10,000 personal recognizance bail.

In addition to his arrest on a domestic assault charge, Mutrie pleaded guilty on August 14, 2007, to two class A misdemeanor simple assault charges, which stemmed from a brawl at the Portsmouth Gas Light Co. As part of a negotiated plea agreement with the prosecution, he was sentenced to serve two days in the Rockingham County House of Corrections.

But the following November, Mutrie was allowed by the Portsmouth Circuit Court to recant his guilty pleas because, a judge ruled, he misunderstood his lawyer's advice and the potential career consequences of the convictions. Mutrie said at the time that he didn't realize the resulting convictions would hurt his chances of becoming a firefighter. When he entered the guilty plea, he told a judge, he was "under the impression" that only a felony conviction could prevent him from being hired as a firefighter. "I took it out of convenience," he said in the Portsmouth court.

In 2009 Mutrie subsequently pleaded guilty to a reduced violation-level charge of disorderly conduct which said he breached the peace by making excessive noise. Portsmouth Police Capt. Corey MacDonald said at the time that the charge was reduced due to the unavailability of witnesses.

Mutrie was court-ordered to perform 30 hours of community service and to stay away from the Gas Light for two years.

He was also ordered to complete an anger management program and to adhere to any recommended follow-up treatment.