Archives for energy drinks

16-year-old boy dies from caffeine overdose

In this undated family photo, Davis Cripe, 16, is shown with his dad Sean. According to a coroner, Cripe died April 26, 2017 from “caffeine-induced cardiac event, with probable arrhythmia.

A 16-year-old boy died from a caffeine overdose after drinking caffeine-laden soft drinks, coffee and an energy drink, a South Carolina coroner said Monday.… Continue Reading...

Energy drinks: cause many sudden cardiac deaths in young people

Image result for injury football high school

To many adolescents and young adults, energy drinks have become essential for getting through the day. But they carry a serious risk of sudden death, a new study finds.

An international research team, led by Dr. Fabian Sanchis-Gomar of Madrid, Spain, has concluded that energy drinks are the cause of many sudden cardiac deaths in young, healthy individuals.… Continue Reading...

Students think it’s ‘normal’ to use performance enhancing drugs

The lowest use of performance enhancing drugs was in Turkey in Europe where the study was conducted. (Photo: Pixabay)

A European study has revealed that the majority of university students believe it is the social norm to use drugs like Ritalin to enhance academic performance – despite very few having used stimulants themselves.

The project looked at attitudes towards the ‘non-medical use of prescription medicines’ among university students in seven EU countries and was co-authored by Dr Robert Dempsey, Lecturer in Psychology at Staffordshire University, alongside colleagues across Europe.… Continue Reading...

Straight talk on PEDs at Bryant Univ.

Print

Speakers from the Taylor Hooton Foundation warned student athletes about the perils of a wide range of performance boosters, from steroids to easily available energy drinks and over-the-counter supplements.

SMITHFIELD – The day he first spoke about the dangers of performance-enhancing drugs, Don Hooton Sr. didn’t know this would become his calling.… Continue Reading...

Army warns of new threat: Energy drinks

Image result for rip energy drink

(CNN)The US military is warning against the danger of troops over consuming energy drinks, saying it could do “some serious harm to your body.”

A post on the pentagon’s official science blog this week details the health risks involved, citing a report that found soldiers in the field were more likely to fall asleep on duty if they consumed multiple beverages a day.… Continue Reading...

The Science Behind Why You Should Stop Chugging So Many Energy Drinks

Energy Drinks

We’ve all seen them before: the cans, small shots and uniquely packaged drinks that promise to give you an energy boost during the most important parts of your day. At first glance, it seems like a great idea: chug it down and get reinvigorated. But, if you go beyond wanting simply to stay alert and you begin to overindulge, you could wind up doing some serious harm to your body.… Continue Reading...

Are supplements safe?

Image result for dietary supplements

Emergency Department Visits for Adverse Events Related to Dietary Supplements

Dietary supplements are sometimes erroneously perceived as inherently healthy. And because of the way many supplements are advertised, it’s easy to overlook that improper administration can lead to adverse outcomes.

The classification of a supplement is defined in the United States Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA) as a vitamin, mineral, herb or botanical, amino acid, and any concentrate, metabolite, constituent, or extract of these substances.… Continue Reading...

10-Year-Old Boy Hospitalized After Drinking Too Many Energy Drinks

(G-Fuel website screenshot)

A 10-year-old boy was hospitalized for drinking a controversial energy drink that markets itself to gamers.

When Dylan Butler of Boston came home from school, his mom, Josee Tolles, noticed there was something wrong.

“He was stumbling down the stairs, he was slurring his words, he couldn’t really walk straight,” Tolles told WBZ-TV.… Continue Reading...

Arizona Teen Dies After Drinking Too Many Energy Drinks

Lanna Hamann, 16, from Arizona died after drinking too many energy drinks as she vacationed in Mexico. Lanna Hamann, 16, was vacationing with friends in Rocky Point, Mexico, when she suddenly had a heart attack and died. Her friends say that instead of drinking water, she was drinking energy drinks.

Lanna told the father of one of her friends that she wasn’t feeling well after spending a day on the beach.… Continue Reading...

A single energy drink could harm heart health for young adults

[Energy drinks]

Drinking just a single energy drink may raise the risk for cardiovascular events among young, healthy adults. This is according to a new study published in JAMA.

Researchers found that a single can of energy drink increased blood pressure and stress hormone responses among young adults.

First author Dr. Anna Svatikova, a cardiology fellow at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, and colleagues found that young adults who consumed one 16-ounce energy drink showed a rise in blood pressure and an increase in stress hormone responses within 30 minutes, which may raise cardiovascular risk.… Continue Reading...